Mount Pleasant, SC

Renovation/Fellowship Hall Completion: 1999

Size: 31,580 sf

Education Building Completion: 2005

Size: 16,420 sf

Mount Pleasant Presbyterian Church is located in the Old Village neighborhood, a historic neighborhood dating from the early 1800’s in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina. The growing congregation acknowledged their need for additional facilities, as well as their pride in their historic Sanctuary to which acoustical and site line improvements were to be made. The phased scope included a new Fellowship Hall with a commercial kitchen, choir practice rooms, administrative offices and classroom renovations. The major design challenges proved to be arranging the new and old buildings on the site to sustain the character, scale and proportion of the Old Village, massing and detailing the new buildings to connect with existing architecture while maintaining their own identity and modifying the interior of the Sanctuary without compromising the historic elements. The resulting architectural solutions continued the Mount Pleasant Presbyterian Church personality into the new buildings to mesh the aesthetic while providing the new functions and spaces the church need for its parishioners.

The education building was final phase of the Master Plan. Bridging the gap between its residential neighbors and its more commercial function, the building is massed to minimize its size and uses residential materials and detailing. The major design challenge was to incorporate a 3 story building in the scale of the historic neighborhood.

The space needs programmed called for classroom space for toddlers through young adult. The building is used for MPPC’s Learning Center or Mother’s morning out program during the week. Classrooms were designed for maximum flexibility with operable walls to accommodate varying class sizes.