Mount Pleasant, SC

Completion: 1999

Size: 3,446 sf

This project included the renovation and addition to the most historic house in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina. The house was originally built in 1753 as part of a plantation, and then rebuilt in 1775 following a devastating fire. After 1803, the plantation was subdivided into 35 lots with six streets and became the Village of Mount Pleasant, the origin of the current Town. In 1893, the rear of the house was modified with a two-story Federal Revival addition facing the street; a pivotal change to the original design which was accessed from Charleston Harbor. After having changing ownership three times, the house had fallen into disrepair, and in 1997, was purchased by the current owner. From the outset, the intent of the client was to be as sensitive as possible to this historically significant house, while adding the minimal amount of square footage to make the house meet the family’s functional needs. Programmatically, the only spaces added to the house were two bedrooms, a kitchen, and a breakfast area. Other modern requirements such as toilet rooms and closets, were crafted into existing spaces or achieved through the use of furnishings.