University of South Carolina Whaley House

WHALEY HOUSE

University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC

The Whaley House’s Queen Anne style turret, irregular floor plan, and varying wall textures distinguish it as the only structure of its kind in Columbia. Constructed in 1893, the residence is listed on the Historic Register. The landmark had fallen into disrepair and was acquired by Historic Columbia Foundation with plans to turn it over to USC. In 2013, SMHa worked with the State Historic Preservation Office to meet their standards and conducted a feasibility study for the 5,688-square-foot building’s stabilization and weatherization to prevent further decay and a study to renovate the building for future use as the USC Children’s Law Center. The renovation included building envelope improvements, hazardous material identification, exterior color studies, and interior layout studies with the intent to leave as much of the floor plan intact while meeting the needs of the future occupant.