This 3,446-square-foot renovation and addition to the most historic home in Mount Pleasant, SC was completed in 1999.
The house was originally built in 1753 as part of a plantation and, in 1775, was rebuilt following a devastating fire. After 1803, the plantation was subdivided into 35 lots with six streets and became the Village of Mount Pleasant, the origin of the current Town of Mount Pleasant. In 1893, the rear of the house was modified with a two-story Federal Revival addition facing the street; a pivotal change to the original design which was accessed from the Charleston Harbor.
After changing ownership three times, the house had fallen into disrepair, and in 1997, was purchased by the current owner. From the outset, the intent of the client was to be as sensitive as possible to this historically significant house while adding the minimal amount of square footage to make the house meet the family’s functional needs. The only spaces added were two bedrooms, a kitchen, and a breakfast area. Other modern requirements such as toilet rooms and closets were crafted into existing spaces or achieved through the use of furnishings.
AIA South Carolina
Robert Mills Residential Design Award, 2002